First some stories, sans photos.
The women of Starbucks
- Many of you who have followed the blog from the beginning will remember Ms Sour Face who never, ever smiles. She was in a relationship, then out, then in and then out. Well this week her fella came in with her – once. And then he was gone again. This was the first time I have seen him since we have been back. As usual, he smiled at me and said hi. As usual she continued to implement the frowning disapproval of life as she sees it.
Ms Ina Hurry (right) continues to whip up to the front door at anytime between 8:20 and 8:21 (I am deadly serious about the time. She is NEVER any earlier or any later – and people say I’M anal!!). Anyway, here’s the thing. For over a year now she has worn one of only three dresses, three “wraps” and one of two pairs of shoes. All three dresses are exactly the same style and length – only the colour changes, same for the wraps. The shoes are either the blue in the photo or black stilletto. Her hair style is also exactly the same every day. Can anyone tell me what job she might have that would cause this? (Yes, yes, I know I’ve used he photo before, but who gives a fig!)
- Who remembers “Happy Days” – one of the best TV shows ever. Who remembers “Pinky” Tuscadero? Well, this next story is about a woman I shall call Ms Pinky. Ms Pinky, her 2 1/2 year old son and her ayee (nanny) have started coming in to my office everyday for about half an hour. The entire time, Ms Pinky is on her phone, ignoring her son. I’m thinking this isn’t the only time she ignores him since he is always taking the ayee’s hand automatically when they leave, if he falls, he goes straight to the ayee for comfort, he puts up a bit of a fight if, upon leaving, Ms Pinky attempts to pick him up etc. Anyway this week my little heart broke a little bit. They left the office and then the ayee picked up Junior and left. Just after they left Ms Pinky waved at someone crossing the street, walked out to the street, squatted down, spread her arms open and someone else’s little boy ran into them and she swooped him up, big smile on her face and the three of them walked away. So sad. (Ed. note: Why Ms Pinky? It is because, more often than not, despite driving a nice new Lexus, she wears a pink, polyester, out of the 80s, sweatsuit. I had hoped to have a photo, but I accidentally deleted it from my phone. Sorry.)
The Ladies of Shanghai
- Can anyone tell me why it takes three women, ages 25 to 35, to take an 18 month old to the doctor’s office?
- Can anyone tell me why all three of them then have to go into the examining room with the nurse and the child?
- Can anyone tell me why it then takes all three of them AND the nurse to get the now screaming child on to the scale to weigh her?
And Now on to
Other Important Tales
World Record Time
- To take the bus from our apartment to the train station, we allow 40 – 45 minutes depending on the time of day.
- We allow 30 – 35 minutes by taxi depending on the time of day.
- Sterling Moss here did it in 18 frightening minutes the other day. Look for him soon in the Guinness Book of World Records. I think he thought it was a race, because every time he passed another cab he honked, looked over at the driver and laughed.
Crime Wave Hits Jiaxing
On the way to the bus this morning Terry noticed that the local convenience store had been broken into. They pried up the security gate, slid a plastic garbage container under it, pushed oped the sliding door somehow and in they went. We have often wondered what the police here do and now we know. The officer with the gloves on is the SOCO (hey I watch TV – it means Scene of Crime Officer!) and the small black case at his feet was his kit! Big action on Hongbo Lu.
What a Load!
This poor bastard. We were on our way out the other day and saw this guy from about 200 yards away. Those are packages of insulation on his bike. They had worked themselves loose from the ropes and a few fell off. He would put them back on in the front and some would fall off the back. He would put those back on and the ones at the front would fall off. This kept on going as we walked up. We were all set to help him (despite me knowing what a sweat I would break out in) when a friend came along. But it was VERY funny.
Bring out Your Dead (from Monty Python)
So we are waiting for our driver to pick us up in Lhasa and take us to the airport for our trip home and this garbage truck (granted, a scenically painted garbage truck)pulls up, stops and turns off the ignition. All of a sudden people come out of the woodwork with their garbage and they throw it in the back. If CUPE ever hears about this, you could all be in trouble. (Ed. note: The guy in orange was not a garbage worker – he was a street sweeper emptying his stuff in the back.)
And where might this have been found?
The Shoe of the Day