And So It Comes To A Whimpering End

The last full day of our whirlwind excursion to the East Coast dawns clear and bright. Our plan is to walk across the Charles River and see MIT and Harvard. It’s a healthy walk, but we’re up for it and eventually we do it, but Terry was pretty exhausted by the end of the afternoon. Not too many – okay no real experiences, so let’s just go with some more photos of what we saw today for now.

The Charles River and Boston downtown skyline

A bit different from Manhattan

I know this is out of focus – which is maybe a good thing.

William Barton Rogers building – he was the founder of MIT. Very impressive columns.

Unless Terry has a fetish I am unaware of, she rubs John Harvard’s foot for luck.

This is the Widener Library and the grounds in front of it. Apparently when Mrs. Widener donated the funds to build it, she stipulated that the building itself could never be changed. As a result, as the collection grew, the ground under all those trees is where the library stacks were built. We know this because as we are walking along an older gentleman asks if we know what is under the ground. (Do we really look that touristy?) We say no and he says “Books”. We figure he means that books have just been dumped there until he gives us the explanation.

The Memorial Church. According to our new friend, every building at Harvard has a steeple.

Terry goes to Langdell Hall – better know as Harvard Law School.

There were a lot of homeless people in both Boston and New York. Generally they were pretty passive. Not always though. As we are wandering back we come across two middle age meth head women. Unlike every other homeless person we passed, for some reason I gave the first 50 cents. The second, who was about 20 feet past her says to Terry “Give me $1.00” Terry just keeps going and I say I gave it to your friend. She goes, what is best described as ape sh&t screaming expletives as we continue our walk., for what was likely 30 seconds. Just goes to show you that no good deed goes unpunished.

We also saw a lot of this.

These were someone’s belongings all neatly tidied up and just left while they are somewhere else. I suppose they are perfectly safe since who else would want them. At one of these “homes” Terry left the left over pasta she took away from Panza. We’re pretty sure he would have enjoyed it. Other people were doing the same in different places.

Where’s Terry?

Sunday was our last meal and our pal from the bar had recommended that we go to the Union Oyster House. It has been a continual running restaurant since 1826 with only 3 families owning it in that time. The food was pretty good and the place not particularly touristy. Stephanie was quite the server. She thought that all Canadians love hockey and felt badly that the Bruins had beat the Canucks – but hey they lost out in round 2 this year. Apparently that was supposed to make me feel better.

Remember last night and the cannoli? We saw a family of about 6 walking up the street and the little one was being carried so that…

And now we come to Monday. We flew from Boston back to Newark to catch our flight home. We get in to Newark just after 1:00 and our Air Canada flight is leaving at 6:20. Lots of time. We go to Tony Roma’s for (hopefully) a good meal so that we don’t have to buy and eat what they call food on the plane. The best one can say is that Roma’s is marginally better that the plane food. By the time we get to the waiting room, it’s almost 3 and boarding is at 5:35 so it won’t be too bad. I realize that there is no duty free inside security, so I go back out and pick up some scotch. Coming back I have only my wallet, boarding pass and passport – the whiskey will be delivered to the plane. This frustrates the customs guy so much that he feels the need to open my wallet and look through it. He doesn’t seem amused when I say that there isn’t anything in it just $5.00 Canadian, but he let’s me in anyway.

I’m thinking the Newark Airport needs an update.

It’s 90 degrees outside and the “air conditioning system” in the airport is working sporadically at best. The plane we will be taking is the one coming in from Vancouver and lands on time at 4:15. Starting at 4:30 the agent starts calling out about 15 names of people who must come forward to show their passports or they won’t be allowed to board. So much for the concept of getting a mobile boarding pass, since until a real live person actually sees your passport you are screwed. This announcement continues and continues and continues. How annoying. At about 5:00 we decide to to get in line to board. At 5:30 the line is much longer. At 6:00 the line is really long and we have been told that the cleaning crew is “grooming” the plane for us. The sign says our flight is “On time”. At 6:30 (still “On Time”) we are told that we will start boarding and that only those in ZONE 1 (we are in 2 and there are 5 zones) will be allowed to board first. He tells us this about 5 times in a very loud voice. We finally get on board and loading is complete about 6:55. Being on the plane I don’t know if the sign says we are “On Time”. The captain comes on and says we will be moving away from the gate in 10-15 minutes, which is accurate. However, we then sit there and sit there and sit there. We aren’t allowed to get up. “Sit down!”

Oh, did I mention the Air Canada flight crew? I think they were at the top of the seniority list. I also think they were at the top of the “Most sullen, Pissed off with having to work and I am not required to smile list.”  Since we were among the first to board, there were only about three people in the back section of the plane where our seats were. One of these flight attendants (50+ year old male) is standing there and I comment (seriously, I was just making a little joke) “Your going to have to start work soon.” “I am working” Okay, we have Mr. Happy. We have flown many air miles with Air Canada but there is no doubt this was the worst crew ever.

We finally get to take off – at 7:50, an hour and a half after scheduled time. It is another hour – we have now being on the plane for just over 2 1/4 hours – before they bring around any water. Then they start serving their delicious meals from their bistro. “We do not take cash. Don’t you have a credit card?” Terry asks for mac and cheese. “No, all out” Her cheese and grapes were a 6/10. There was also a couple with a young baby – I’m thinking 9 months, who basically screamed or cried for the entire time.

Thank God we are home!

2 thoughts on “And So It Comes To A Whimpering End

  1. Lois & Robert Marsden

    That was a hilarious read, guys but am certain you did not see the humour! Could not share with our American friends as we are sitting outside in their fabulous backyard in Idaho…Gerry and John are in a 3-day golf tournament. Glad you are home safely too. Thanks for the insight during your travels. Was surprised at the homeless escapade.


Leave a Reply